Tuesday 4 August 2015

For The Love Of Vintage Sewing Books



Over the past couple of years I've been on the lookout for vintage sewing books -and I've been fortunate enough to get my hands on some wonderful ones.


The thing I love about them is not just the sewing knowledge they hold and promise to impart but the wonderful vintage world of language and image.


The books I have span from the 1920s to the 1980s and while a lot of what they say may be fundamentally the same, the way in which they say it is very indicative of their particular time.



 The images and illustrations of each are also very distinctly of their time and -to me- endlessly fascinating.


I love to browse vintage sewing books and their contents online when someone kindly shares pictures and opinions on their own copies of these vintage gems. So I decided to add some posts of my own with the hope that others may find it as interesting -and as educational - as I do to look through these slices of sewing and fashion history. 


I've started photographing them and hopefully I'll be posting some reviews regularly on this blog.




NOTE:
If anyone has any old sewing books that they do not need or want any longer and are interested in exchanging them, swapping them or otherwise getting rid of them, I'd love to hear from you.

7 comments:

  1. :) These look fab! I'm constantly flicking through books like this at antique and vintage shops and fairs! i'm usually looking for more jewellery and fashion related ones that I rarely find so I never really have any need to buy them but they're always so wonderful to look at! I hope you manage to continue building your collection! If I ever happen to have one in my possession I'll be sure to send it your way! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jessica!
      That would be greatly appreciated. I'd be sure to return the favour in kind!

      Delete
  2. How cool! My mom has a few, I really love going thru them....You have a great collection!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe you could share them in a post. I'd sure love to see them.....

      Delete
  3. I love the simplicity one! I used to own a vintage sewing book, but since
    moving from country to country it must've gotten lost...
    I do have a couple of vintage sewing patterns :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are all quite lovely!
      Pity about the one that was lost......
      Vintage sewing patterns are another obsession of mine.....I find them just as fascinating as the books.

      Delete
    2. They are all quite lovely!
      Pity about the one that was lost......
      Vintage sewing patterns are another obsession of mine.....I find them just as fascinating as the books.

      Delete

Your comments are always welcome and your opinion and/or feedback appreciated.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...